Monday, July 16, 2012

Letter 48

June 4, 2012

Hey Everyone!

First off... You guys totally destroyed our backyard! HOLY HANNAH that’s a big ol' hole you dug back there! Its going to be weird comin’ home to a new backyard/kitchen/I'll be home so I won’t be a missionary. That’s almost too much stuff. But I don’t have to worry about that for a whole year!! Can you believe it?! I've been out here for a year! Its crazy... the time just seems to be ticking faster and faster. Before you know it my friends will be getting home and then my triumphant return will soon follow. I am focusing a lot on making the most of my time while I'm here. I only have one year left and I'm going to work my hardest to help my Father's children.

This week was pretty good. Elder Curletti and I are growing and learning every day as missionaries and as a companionship. This week we had a little talk. Elder Curletti was feeling a little discouraged about our area and about what we have been doing. He had been focusing a little too much on negative things that have been happening to us instead of the good things that have happened and the good things that we have done. I told him that we can’t compare ourselves to other missionaries. Obviously no one is perfect and we all have things to improve on. It doesn’t make any sense looking at what others do or what others think because they are not you! It was a really intense experience and probably one that I wont forget for a long time. Everything turned out fine and we said a prayer together. I told him to read the talk "What Thinks Christ of Me" by Elder Neil L. Anderson and it helped the both of us a lot. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for the priceless lessons I've learned since I have been made Senior Companion and especially a Trainer. I know my Heavenly Father is molding me into the missionary and Priesthood Holder and person that I need to be in my life. I have learned that we are the only ones that can influence how we feel. We need to become creators of circumstances not creatures of them. Choose to act not react.

These lessons on my mission are definitely preparing me to be a father haha. All the stuff with Training E. Curletti and then an experience at church... That Part Member family came to church yesterday with their 4 kids... and lo and behold... ALL of the kids love ELDER STEWART and won’t leave him alone during the Sacrament!! hahaha it was great! They are 9,5,3, and 2 and they are my biggest fans I guess. I whipped out my planner and let them draw all over it, they stuck stickers on me, and they were talking too loud! I definitely felt like a dad. BUT it was so their parents could listen so it was worth it. I'm just happy they came to church at all! They were supposed to come to the Spanish Ward at 9 but they didn’t and then I texted them to come to the English one at 1. They didn’t text back so I didn’t know if they would or not and they did! It turns out that their kids had pinkeye in the morning and they couldn’t open their eyes! So they wiped ‘em down with warm water and came to the English Ward. It was a little difficult for the mom because she's the only one that doesn’t speak English (everyone else speaks both). But I'm glad they came... even if their kids put their pinkeye hands all over me.

We're trying to get Maxine baptized this weekend before she moves to Utah. She's moving to Salt Lake while she does this Teach for America program and she'll be there for like 6 months. Maybe you all can take her out to dinner or something while she's there?! Oooo! Or to General Conference! That would be cool! I'll let you know how it all goes. It’s been amazing to see Maxine learn and grow in the Gospel! She's already in Mosiah in the BoM!

Madi I'm sorry that I didn’t write you on your birthday... I knew it was that day. I even told E. Curletti, "Hey... its my sister's birthday"... But I'll write you a little note today hopefully. You’re my hero! Way to get a real job before me! Hope your wildest dreams come true.

WELP.... I'm running out of time and I don’t really know what to talk about. I love you all so much and I'll see you all in a year!

-Elder Jordan Stewart

PS- Congrats to my bud Elder Trent Howard for being made AP! I love you and your letters!

No comments:

Post a Comment